Job Number 19156869
Job Category Sales and Marketing
Location Aloft London Excel| One Eastern Gateway| London| Greater London|
Brand Aloft Hotels
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us Start Your Journey With Us
At Aloft Hotels we’re wired for next generation travelers who love open
spaces| open thinking| and open expression. Aloft provides a space where style
is necessary| social scenes are vibrant| and where the only direction is
forward. Our guests are tech savvy and confidently social| with an eclectic
style they’re not afraid to show. We understand what our guests need| so we
provide an affordable option for the tech-savvy design guru. We’re looking for
innovative self-expressers who aren’t afraid to draw outside the lines. If you
are someone who appreciates tech-forward features and vibrant social scenes|
then we invite you to explore a career with Aloft Hotels.
This job description sets out the current duties of the job role that may
vary from time to time without changing the general character of the job role
or the level of responsibility entailed.
Functions as the Strategic Business Leader of the property’s sales hotels
sales department and is responsible for property reactive sales| proactive
account sales and segment sales| local and social catering sales| business
travel sales| reservations sales and group sales.
The position shares responsibility for achieving revenue goals| guest and
associate satisfaction and the financial performance of the Hotel. The
Director of Sales implements the brands sales and applicable brand initiatives
in all aspects of the sales process and focuses on building long-term| value-
based customer relationships that enable achievement of the hotel’s’ sales
Evaluates the property’s participation in the various sales channels (e.g.
Electronic lead channels| 3rd party representation etc.) and develops strong
working relationships to proactively position and market the property to
maximise Hotel revenues. Develops and manages the sales and marketing budget
to enable development of property specific campaigns| promotions and
collateral to drive revenue and meet property objectives.
Interfaces with regional marketing communications for regional and national
promotions pull through. Develops and implements property–wide strategies that
deliver products and services to meet or exceed the needs and expectations of
the brand’s target customer profile and property associates and provides a
return on investment to the owner and Marriott International.
Education and Experience
· High school diploma or equivalent required; Bachelor’s Degree in Hospitality
· Minimum 3 years Lodging sales experience in a senior capacity
Skills and Knowledge
· Ability to develop and implement successful sales strategies for applicable
business segments and individual accounts
· Ability to set accurate account and revenue goals across (transient| group &
catering) and drive results
· Strong customer development and relationship management skills
· Owner relationship skills
· Knowledge of contractual agreements and legal implications
· Strategic planning skills
· Ability to interpret market data and apply to sales strategy
· Understands revenue management functions and account profitability
· Financial management skills e.g.| ability to analyze P&L statements| develop
operating budgets| forecasting and capital expenditure planning
· Strong communication skills (verbal| listening| writing)
· Outstanding presentation and platform skills and ability to influence others
· Effective decision making skills
· Effective coaching| mentoring and development skills
· Strong problem-solving skills
· Excellent negotiation skills
· Effective conflict management skills
· Effective change management skills
· Ability to use standard software applications
The following are specific responsibilities and contributions critical to
the successful performance of the position
Sales and Marketing
· Develops Sales goals and strategies and ensures alignment with the hotels’s
and companies overall business objectives.
· Manages the development of a strategic account plan for the demand
generators in the market.
· Manages the property|s reactive and proactive sales efforts and ensures that
the sales team understands and is leveraging all Marriott Sales and Marketing
· Determines and develops marketing communication activities| in conjunction
with Regional Marketing Communications.
· Provides customer intelligence in evaluating the market and economic trends
that may lead to changes in sales strategy to meet or exceed customer
· Reviews STR report| competitive shopping reports and uses other resources to
maintain an awareness of the hotel’s market position.
· Researches competitor’s sales team strategies to identify ways to grow
occupancy and RevPAR and increase market share.
· Attends sales strategy meetings to provide input on weekly and overall sales
· Suggests innovative marketing ideas and develops deployment strategies to
continue to grow market share.
· Evaluates and supports participation and account deployment with Global
Sales Offices and the ExCeL sales team
· Serves as the sales contact for the General Manager| property leadership
team. Understands and accurately represents individual property sales needs.
· Serves as the sales contact for customers; serves as the customer advocate.
· Serves as hotel authority on sales processes and sales contracts.
· Serves as the property sales liaison with Area Sales| Group Sales| Revenue
Management| Event Management| Regional Marketing Communications and other
hotel departments as appropriate.
· Participates in sales calls with members of the Sales and Marketing team to
acquire new business and/or close on business.
· Identifies public relations opportunities and coordinates activities to
augment the overall marketing communication strategy.
· Supports the General Manager by coordinating crisis communications.
· Executes and supports Marriott’s Customer Service Standards and hotel’s
· Executes and supports the operational aspects of business booked (e.g.
generating proposal| writing contract| customer correspondence).
· Monitors the effective resolution of guest issues that arise as a result of
the sales process by creating mechanisms to channel issues to property
leadership and/or other appropriate stakeholders.
· Maintains successful performance by increasing revenues| controlling
expenses and providing a return on investment for the owner and Marriott
· Manages the sales and marketing budget to enable development of property
specific campaigns| promotions and collateral to drive revenue and meet
· Works in conjunction with the London Complex sales| events and reservations
Building Successful Relationships
· Develops strong partnerships with local organizations to further increase
· Develops strong community and public relations by maintaining property
participation in local| regional and international trade shows and customer
· Serves the customer by understanding their needs and recommending the
appropriate features and services that best meet their needs and exceed their
expectations| while building a relationship and loyalty to Marriott.
· As a member of the hotel Executive Committee| attends owner meetings and
provides meaning or context to the sales results; demonstrates an
understanding of owner priorities.
· Partners with Human Resources to attract| develop and retain the right
people in order to support the strategic priorities of the market.
· Sets goals and expectations for direct reports using the Leadership
Performance Acceleration (LPA)| aligns performance and rewards| addresses
performance issues and holds staff accountable for successful results.
· Forecasts talent needs and manages talent acquisition strategy with Human
Resources (HR) to minimize lost time due to turnover.
· Maintains an active list of the competition’s best sales people and executes
a recruitment and acquisition plan with HR.
· Champions leadership development and workforce planning priorities by
assessing| selecting| retaining and developing diverse| high-caliber talent
that can lead the organization today and strengthen the leadership bench for
the future; continues to upgrade the sales & marketing talent; works with HR
to anticipate future talent needs based on business growth plans.
· Performs other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
· Complies with Marriott International Hotels Limited policies and procedures.
· Adaptability – Develops strategies and identifies resources to implement
and manage change; models flexibility in adjusting priorities; and
communicates the need for change in a positive way that encourages commitment.
· Communication – Actively listens and uses appropriate communication
styles to deliver complex information in a clear concise way and influences
others to accept a point of view| gain consensus| or take action.
· Problem Solving and Decision Making – Models and sets expectations for
solving complex problems| collecting and comparing information to evaluate
alternatives| considering their potential impact before making decisions|
involving others to gain agreement and support| and guiding others to
· Professional Demeanor – Exhibits behavioral styles that convey
confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and
represents the company in alignment with its values.
· Building and Contributing to Teams – Leads and participates as a member
of a team to move the team toward the completion of common goals while
fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
· Driving for Results – Focuses and guides others in accomplishing work
· Planning and Organizing – Gathers information and resources required to
set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work
requirements self and/or others to accomplish goals and ensure work is
· Coworker Relationships – Develops and uses collaborative relationships
to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
· Customer Relationships – Develops and sustains relationships based on
an understanding of customer needs and actions consistent with the company’s
· Global Mindset – Supports employees and business partners with diverse
styles| abilities| motivations| and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes
differences to drive innovation| engagement and enhance business results; and
ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
· Organizational Capability – Evaluates and adapts the structure of
organizational units| jobs| and work processes to best fit the needs and/or
support the goals of an organizational unit.
· Talent Management – Provides guidance and feedback to help individuals
develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
· Applied Learning – Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities
to improve performance of self and/or others.
· Business Acumen – Understands and utilizes business information (e.g.|
data related to employee engagement| guest satisfaction| and property
financial performance) to manage everyday operations and generate innovative
solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
· Technical Acumen – Understands and utilizes professional skills and
knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday
business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-
specific work challenges.
o Devising Sales Strategies and Solutions – Trying different and novel
ways to deal with sales challenges and opportunities; taking courses of action
or developing sales strategies that apprpriately consider available facts|
constraints| competitive circumstances| and probable consequences.
o Sales Disposition – Energetic| proactive| takes calculated risks| and
perseveres to attain goals.
o Sales Opportunity Analysis – Ability to understand and utilize
economic| financial| industry| and organizational data; accurately diagnosing
customer needs and issues that can inform sales strategies.
o Revenue Management – Knowledge of total hotel revenue management
concepts| processes and strategies (including sales cycles and trends| account
management| pricing| and inventory management).
o Management of Financial Resources- Ability to analyze Profit and Loss
(P&L) statements| develop operating budgets and revenue goals| forecasting|
and capital expenditure planning; determining how money will be spent to get
the work done| and accounting for these expenditures.
· Basic Competencies – Fundamental competencies required for
accomplishing basic work activities.
o Basic Computer Skills – Uses basic computer hardware and software
(e.g.| personal computers| word processing software| Internet browsers| etc.).
o Mathematical Reasoning – Demonstrates ability to add| subtract|
multiply| or divide quickly| correctly| and in a way that allows one to solve
o Oral Comprehension – Demonstrates ability to listen to and understand
information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
o Reading Comprehension – Demonstrates understanding of written sentences
and paragraphs in work-related documents.
o Writing – Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the
needs of the audience.